Songs in the Sitting Room is a group in Austin, TX dedicated to finding and promoting local musicians. Miranda Hoffman, Sophie Kwok and I had the honor of working on ideas to help the group grow and move out of their living room and into a venue. I illustrated some of our top ideas.
For 6 months, Songs in the Sitting Room was a concert series held in increasingly crowded rooms around town. SITSR talked to us about their dream venue, and vision of helping connect local artists to their community. SITSR wants to create an environment where all kinds of creative people are able to meet, be inspired, and hear great music.
Our team came up with several ideas to share with Melissa and Austin, two of the SITSR founders. Meeting with Melissa and Austin was invaluable in learning what kinds of ideas really resonated with both of them. From here, we were able to narrow down our top ideas.
- A greenroom that really serves as a desirable place for artists to hang out before their shows, and doubles as an intimate venue for special shows.
- A co-working space that encourages all kinds of creatives to meet and collaborate,
- Classes: both taught by musicians and for musicians (ex. The Business of Music),
- Q&A sessions after concerts to give everyone a chance to talk to the artist,
- Collaborative installations that give the community a sense of ownership in SITSR
- Eventually, we'd love to see SITSR grow its presence by creating a network of similarly-minded venues, that could share talent.
- And by keeping concert-goers in touch with musicians and each other through an online platform.
SITSR has been putting on monthly shows at Brew & Brew in Austin since November 2015. To see the latest info, check out their Facebook page.